Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Class of 2013... wait... Reilly is almost a graduate?!?

So whether I like it or not my little sister is about to graduate. Sometimes I look at her and still see my little smiley Reilly and other times I look at her and she is just so beautiful and grown up and it absolutely amazes me how fast time has flown by. To celebrate her upcoming graduation Reilly and two of her friends (Montana and Ari) and planning a graduation party at Company Cafe on the Katy Trail in Uptown. Of course, me being the little party planner that I am, I have pretty much just taken over and I am dedicated to making it awesome. Seniors- prepare to have your minds blow because this will be a party like you've never seen! As with planning any party, the first step is to create an invitation. I custom designed their invitation on photoshop and then printed it through the one and only Vistaprint! I am so excited to see the finished product. I will be sure to let ya'll know how they turn out. Next I started looking for decorations... my favorite part!
A preview of the invitation for Reilly, Montana and Ari's Senior party that I  designed!

Here's a few of the ideas I have... without giving anything major away of course!



Graduating high school and going to college was one of the most amazing and also one of the most stressful times of my life. I remember being so torn as to what school I should attend. Britney Spears' "I'm not a girl not yet a woman" song comes to mind! haha I looked at the four years of college as an eternity. I can barely handle planning my upcoming week much less the next four years of my life. I prayed and prayed over my decision to go to the University of Arkansas. Those prayers were answered when I received an out of state tuition wavier as well as when I was chosen as a member of the pom squad. Up until that point I wasn't sure what God had in store for me or where He wanted to go. I spent many nights agonizing over the choice that had to be made. In retrospect all the sleepless nights and tears shed were for nothing. God always has a plan for us and if we are patient and listen He will lead us to that plan. I read a verse the other day in my devo and I think its the best possible advice I could give my sister (or anyone really) facing a big decision.

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."   Jeremiah 17:7-8


The imagery in this verse is just amazing. A faithful person is like a tree planted firmly by a beautiful lake.  Each day the tree continues to grow tall and strong and green. While the sun beats down and the grasses all around it are dry and parched and bend in the sweltering heat this tree grows taller and stronger.  It's branches continuously bear fruit and it provides shade for those who come to rest beneath it.  It's roots are deep, and despite adverse circumstances there is no doubt that this tree will continue to thrive as a testimony to the blessing of having deep roots.




The more I read this verse the more I realize that having deep roots and a solid faith doesn't come from making the right decision and being at the "right" school. It doesn't come from picking a college that fits your perfect check list (I believe my list had things like active greek life, fun town, shopping mall, good night life, SEC football team, a dance team... etc.) It comes from walking in faith and trusting that God will be a part of every decision that you make. What I didn't realize at the time I was trying to pick a college was that it really didn't matter where I went to school. What truly mattered was that I had a deep rooted faith because it was that faith (not my sorority, not being a pom girl, and not going out with friends) that would get me through the hard times and make whatever school I attended enjoyable. 

College is a time of your life that is full of growth, change, and new experiences.I was in a new town with all new people. Everything was new to me. At first the new is exciting and then that wears off and you long for the things you know and that are familiar.  One of the biggest challenges for me was being 5 hours away from my family. I constantly missed them and was homesick. There were times I wanted to jump in my car and drive 5 hours just to get a hug from my mom (and I might have once or twice but who is really counting?!). 

A person who has truly deep roots is the person whose confidence is in God.  The person who trusts God is the one whose leaves never wither and who always bears fruit. No matter where you chose to go to college, you will be successful and happy because your confidence is in the Lord and you are faithful that He will provide. 

As I was writing this blog I realized just how applicable these words are to my life right now. As I take on two new jobs and navigate how to handle new bosses, attract clients and not lose my mind in the process, I realize just how incredibly important it is to fall back on my "roots" of faith. I have to continue to trust in the Lord and have confidence in Him, not in myself. I sometimes worry that I may not be able to meet my personal goals and that I may not be able to handle a task at the office as I should. If I solely rely on myself I will fail... time and time again. Now more than ever these roots are tested. Just as a tree with deep roots stands tall and strong during a long drought, I too will stand tall and strong during trying times. Somedays when I feel like the world might just crash in around me I stop and say a prayer and God finds some small way to show me that I am right where He wants me and He is using me to bring honor and glory to Him! 

Wherever you are in your life, whatever trying times or amazing blessings you are faced with I hope you keep your roots firmly planted in the Lord and I hope these words find you and touch your heart if they are meant to!





1 comment:

  1. Jo, I love this post and the verse! Such wise words for Rei as she gets ready to open a new chapter in her life. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete