Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lessons Learned from a four pound fur ball

Today's blog is dedicated to my sweet, precious, cuddly 5 year old Yorkie, Elle.

Elle came into my life when I was a sophomore in college and she was the most timid and shy little pup I had ever met. It honestly beats me as to what it was that possessed me to get a dog in the first place, but Elle came into my life and ignited a great love for pups that will forever be a part of me. Everything I need to know in life I can honestly say that I have learned from Elle.
As a dedication to her on her 5th birthday I am going to share some of the lessons I have learned from my best little friend (no I do not pick favorites... Emma is my little best friend so that is different than best little friend and they each have their own respective titles haha).

1- There is ALWAYS time to cuddle

Since Elle Belle was a pup she has been the ultimate cuddler. It doesn't matter where we are... in a car, on the couch, in bed, in a chair, at a restaurant... Elle will find a way to cuddle when she wants to. If she had her way I would tote her around like an accessory 24/7. If I move her from her comfy cuddle spot it will be a matter of minutes until she nudges and nestles her way back into a little cocoon. She is a constant reminder that no matter how busy I am there are always a few minutes to squeeze in a little time with the ones I love most. I have come home on lunch breaks before just to get a good little cuddle in with my girl. I truly believe Elle has healing powers in that when I am sick she is usually the only one who can heal me with her cuddles. She has helped me recover from numerous surgeries, positive strep tests, and colds.

2- You can tell a lot about a person by how they smell

Although it sometimes annoys the crud out of me, Elle is CONSTANTLY smelling everything everywhere we go. I guess it is just dog nature but there's also a good lesson in it. If something (or someone) smells bad or fishy... they probably are. Trust your gut and follow your instincts. I can tell you from our daily walks that this chick knows her smells and trusts her nose. When she smells something weird she either goes straight towards it or directly away from it. When it all comes down to it, you really can tell a lot about a person by how they smell. Hope you wore your deodorant today!


3- Take time to enjoy the sweet things in life

There's nothing as adorable as watching Elle savor each and every single bite of a bone. I buy the smallest bones I can find and it still takes her two days to finish them. She takes her time and savors the good things that she enjoys the most. We can all take a cue from her lead and take more time with the things and the people that make us the happiest.


4- Unconditional love is the greatest gift

My little dids has been there through so many ups and downs and highs and lows. Every single day that I come home is a good day for her. Without fail she is in her pen with Ems wagging her tail in excitement and anxiously waiting for me to let her out so she can lick me and get her ears rubbed. There's just no better feeling than coming home to someone who is so excited to see you. As a friend, mother, daughter, wife, etc I want to be that person that people look forward to coming to see. I want my loved ones to think of me as the one who loves them unconditionally and who will always be excited to see them no matter what! It doesn't matter how good or bad my day has been, when I walk through the door and I am greeted by E & E it is instantly a good day and I can't help but smile. Love is the greatest gift you can give and you have an unlimited supply. Dish it out... in HUGE servings... Because you will never run out!

5- One play session a day keeps the doctor away

Whether it's a long walk around our neighborhood, a jog on the Katy trail, or just a good ole fashioned game of fetch, Elle always gets in some activity in her daily routine. She absolutely loves chasing down tennis balls and battling her sister to see who emerges as the winner winner chicken dinner. She stays fit and healthy by running...and let me tell you, home girl runs 3 miles like it's nothing! She absolutely loves to run and get in some exercise. (Bonus for me- I get a good workout in and she sleeps like a baby). Never be too busy to exercise. I think we are all guilty of this but I want to be as spry as ole dids is when I am 36 years old so I need to be better about staying active. 80 year old me will thank 24 year old me one day!


And one to grow on...

6. Mistakes happen

What can I say... when you have a bladder the size of a peanut mistakes are going to happen. Elle has helped me realize that patience is key and those little doo doos that occasionally appear in the house (normally after I have spent the whole day cleaning or we have guests) aren't the end of the world. Crap happens (sometimes literally)...learn how to pick it up and move on! Life's too short to focus on the poop!!!


Happy birthday Elle! I'm so blessed to be your mom! 

Here's to many more years and many more lessons!



ALSO:
Please help my friend Megan out! While shooting her bridals she misplaced her fiance's 1999 Texas A&M Football Helmet. It has a lot of sentimental value to him and if you know anything about its whereabouts please help her get it back! She will pay a reward for its return! Check out the Facebook page here. Thanks friends!!!




1 comment:

  1. I love Miss Elle. Such a wonderful little cuddler. =)

    ReplyDelete